Wednesday, January 20, 2010

yeast ain't a beast no more



Years ago I tried to make something yeasty. Maybe it was me. Maybe it was the yeast. But it didn't turn out. At all.

After I was successful with the rolls at Thanksgiving, I have been wanting to try my hand at some regular bread. After all, bread made at home is cheaper and has less no preservatives. I'm not a fanatic about preservatives, but whenever we can cut them out, it's a good thing.




So Monday, I busted out the yeast and the loaf pans and made two lovely loaves of bread. I took pictures along the way because I actually measured out the ingredients in my new cute mini bowls (you thought I was joking about that, didn't you?). I was thinking of posting the recipe. But as it was baking I convinced myself it wasn't going to turn out as planned and deleted them from the camera.

Silly me, because this bread turned out so awesome. I need to work on my shaping skills a little, but it sure does taste good with some butter slathered all over it. Greg said it would be perfect for a sandwich ~ a nice one, not just a pb&j. Although Heather thought a pb&j would be just fine on it.

I'm going to try to bake bread more often. I'm looking forward to experimenting with other recipes as well.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go milk the cows and feed the chickens.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks really delicious. I love homemade bread! Please, post the recipe, you don't need the pics! Thanks for sharing

Carpool Queen said...

Oohhh...pretty.

Amber said...

Mine would never be that pretty. Never.

But now I'm hungry.

And want bread.

Jen said...

Looks great.

FedEx Dave said...

Look out Wonder Bread, theres a new Wonder Mama making bread in town, Sara Lee should be looking over her shoulder too! Wheres my slice, I know better to ask for a loaf. Keep up the good work, soon we'll have fresh butter from the Robinsons Dairy :)