Saturday, April 23, 2011

in my backyard

There are so many pretty sights and smells going on in the backyard right now. Let's take a little walk around the yard.



In the island we have this. We don't know what this is. When the shoots first started, Greg thought it was the garlic he planted after it started sprouting in the kitchen.



When it first started to bloom, I told him that I didn't know garlic had such pretty flowers. And I'm thinking these are too big now to be garlic. But, what do I know, right?



Then I remembered that on impulse he bought some bulbs one day while he was shopping for other yard stuff. Was that last year? Or the year before? He usually keeps careful record of what we plant. But this impulse was left unrecorded.

Regardless, we have a few of these pretty little plants in the island that smell good too. I'm thinking maybe it's some sort of iris.



Last year we planted vines around the posts of the pergola. One of them is a honeysuckle vine. Oh, sweet honeysuckle. The smell reminds me of being a child and living in Texas for a few years. Our neighbors had these trailing all over the fence that separated our yards. We used to spend idle time sucking the nectar out of the flower.

Apparently, Greg used to do the same thing as a child.



So we stood out there the other night, trying to relive the past & find that elusive nectar. Nothing. We tried several different ways only to be left unrewarded.

Huh.

Oh well, they still smell reminiscently beautiful.



We also have jasmine vines working their way up the posts. These have a different olfactory memory for us.



Greg and I were married outdoors in the month of May. All around the gazebo, jasmine bushes were abundant and in full bloom. When I smell them I am reminded of that sweet day I married the love of my life!



The daisy bushes are working on being fully covered in flowers. Such a simple, easy to take care of bush with a very pretty result!

  

No comments: