Monday, April 18, 2011

tales from the schoolyard

Here I am in my much anticipated return to blogging (hmpf).  I thought I'd kick off our spring break week with a few tales from the schoolyard. With moving from a year-round schedule back to a nine-month schedule and Easter being so late this year ~ the students and teachers are very much in need of a break. We spent the last few weeks in survival mode ~ counting the days ~ and there may have been just a few testy moments.

However, this particular moment is one for sharing:

At the end of the day, during clean up time, a student comes up to me to share something.

Student:  Mrs. Robinson, I eat carrots like junk food.

Me:  Oh yeah? Do you know what carrots are good for?

Student:  Uh-huh, your eyes. (pause) So I usually make sure I eat an even number of carrots ~ for each eye.

I had a good belly laugh from that little guy.  He made my day.




Our weather has been unseasonably cold and unseasonably warm ~ sometimes in the same week for the past month or so. I have worn capris and sandals in the same week as my winter coat and gloves! The air conditioning and heater at school is controlled by our central school district office. {They don't trust us?}

Getting the right type of air flow through the vents is apparently pretty tricky because one particular afternoon the air should have been on. It wasn't. During math in the afternoon I started getting that dizzy, nauseous feeling. I was being bugged by the fact that my hair was touching me! I needed a ponytail holder.

I rummaged through my purse. Nothing.

I rummaged through my desk. Nothing.

I am usually better prepared for these sorts of things. I sent one of my students to Heather's room to see if she had one in her backpack. {My students are no longer phased by my unusual requests!} Nothing. I was forced to use an office supply rubber band. Boys, ask any girl and they will tell you this is a hair no-no and painful to remove.

The next morning after a meeting, I found this pony and note on my desk. Heather made sure to bring one to school just for me in case I needed it later. It's now sitting in my desk for the day I have emergency pony needs. I'm willing to bet she has a spare in her backpack too.




One of my students is absent a.l.o.t. Her parents claim she is sick every time, complete with a fever.

Right.

I think she has an acute case of I'm-spoiled-and-don't-want-to-go-to-school-itis. She was absent twice last week. After the first absence, I got this note.

Please excuse {Absent Allthetime} from school Tue. 12th She stubbed her big toe and counldnt put pressure on it.

First off, maybe mom needs to come in for a little lesson in punctuation. Secondly, really? That's funny ~ she was walking just fine on Wednesday even with closed toe shoes.

Here's to a great spring break! I promise not to stay away so long this time.

  

No comments: