Wednesday, March 31, 2010

making meatballs

A few days ago, Stephanie said she wanted to learn how to make meatballs. This kid loves spaghetti ~ always has. For her first birthday party, we made sure to serve spaghetti because it was her favorite. How can you make spaghetti even better? Well, meatballs, of course.



Last night we set out to make spaghetti and meatballs. She did the meatballs all by herself as I stood to the side and instructed. She giggled and giggled when she first put her hands in the cold meat to incorporate all the ingredients.



Once she got the hang of what size to make the meatballs, she made perfectly shaped ones that were pretty much all the same size. Awesome for her first time!

Handy tip of the day ~ cooking meatballs in the oven is soooo much easier than in a skillet.



While she worked on the meatballs, I made the sauce. We made this recipe for spaghetti and meatballs. Very easy and delicious.

I'm so proud of her and her desire to be in the kitchen (for activities other than doing the dishes). Now I just have to remember to slow down enough to let her be in the kitchen. Maybe next week we'll have Swedish meatballs for dinner so she can make meatballs again.

2 comments:

Amber said...

A girl after my own heart.

Meatballs and cupcakes (cutey apron, btw).

Carpool Queen said...

I let my boys make the meatballs because they're smaller than when I use my big ole hands.