Thursday, December 9, 2010

it was bound to happen

So last week at a school function, a mom came up to me with news about her niece, whom I taught in 4th grade during my 5th year of teaching. Turns out she's gonna be a new mommy in April.

Whoa!

When did this happen?

Just as I am not quite finished reeling from the shock, I sense someone else standing beside me. Another mom. I have a much longer and complicated history with this one. I taught her daughter in 3rd grade during my second year of teaching. I also taught her grandson/son (long story) three years ago. Her sister watched Stephanie the year I had her. Anyway, she tells me that Brittany, her daughter, is there and wants to say hi to me. I haven't seen her in a couple of years and excitedly turned to say hello (she was one of my favorites ~ even though teachers don't have favorites ~ ahem). She said hello and proudly presented a baby carrier for me to see. Her baby boy is seven weeks old.

A little bit dizzy and weak in the knees, I oohed and aahed over him. He's a cutie.

I am fully aware that this is my 15th year of teaching. Believe me, that business alone is something I can hardly fathom.

I am also fully aware that the tiny humans grow up.

But somehow in my mind, these girls will forever be in 3rd and 4th grade.

And I will forever not have a gray hair in my head!

But I guess it was bound to happen.

No comments: