Saturday, December 4, 2010

tales from the schoolyard

1. Yesterday, as one of my students was sitting down to read with me, this conversation took place:
Student: Are  you going to stay up late tonight?

Me: Huh? (Ok, so I'm not always the best conversational example for the students!)

Student: It's Friday, are you going to stay up late?
Me: (with realization of what the heck he's talking about) Oh. Yes, I probably will.
You see, he's remembering a time when I told the students that I was excited for a Friday because I like to stay up late and I don't have to get up early on Saturdays.

Too bad he can't remember the difference between a noun and a verb with such clarity.

2. Someone has been taking food from my little fridge in the room. Not just the candy bars that happened to be in there for a little while around Halloween, but the plums and string cheese too.  It has happened about half a dozen times. I've narrowed down the suspects, but when confronted, the sticky-handed student lies brazenly to my face. Yet, when I told her I kinda already know the truth, she cannot look me in the eye. Very telling.

Yes, I'm bluffing. But I also didn't say what truth to which I was referring exactly. There are lots of truths in life that I know.

3. In light of the downturned economy, I am wondering if it might be a good idea to put a tip jar on my desk to supplement my income.

Except, I'd probably just get a couple of broken pencils.

No comments: