Friday, February 26, 2010

money in other people's pockets


Money is tight these days for just about everyone. We are all feeling the pinch of higher prices and possibly lower (or nonexistent for some) wages. Yet, I feel we are still called to serve others. And there's a way to do it without a squeeze on your own pocketbook. 




The answer? Clipping coupons you don't need. We don't need diapers in this household anymore, but I regularly clip diaper coupons when I see them. I give them to Suzanne or Kim. If the coupons are ones they won't use, I post them on the whiteboard at school. When I see a coupon for a certain brand of paper towel, I clip that one for Paulette. Essentially, you can be putting money in other people's pockets without spending your own grocery money. It just takes a little ~ very little ~ time and thought. 

One day I was in line at Joann's when the woman in front of me asked me if I wanted her coupons. She wasn't going to be able to use all of them that day and they were soon to expire. Hot dog! She handed me three or four 40% off coupons. That woman saved me so much money with such a simple gesture.




Right now you're probably thinking that the fifty cent or dollar off coupon isn't going to make that much of an impact in someone's life. It can. Small amounts of spare change over time can add up. So far this year I have been able to save $51.29 by using coupons (not including any Joann's coupons) ~ little by little.

So next time you're sitting down with the coupon circular, think about the other people in your life. Is there a coupon someone else can take advantage of? Take a minute to clip it. Also, did you know you can go to coupons.com to print some really good coupons. They are reloaded at the first of each month. You can usually print two if you hit your back button after the coupons print.

Get out your scissors and go forth to put money in other people's pockets!

No comments: