Monday, February 8, 2010

oatmeal for breakfast

Sunday morning, I was on the computer when Heather asked if she could have oatmeal for breakfast. I asked her if she remembered how to make it. No. I told her I'd be down in a minute. Then she asked if the directions were on the package. Yes. So she decided to read and follow the directions. The kids have made instant oatmeal in the microwave before. They are perfectly capable of reading and following the simple directions. So I happily clicked away.

Later that night she pulled this out of the pantry


and told me this is what she made for breakfast. I laughed and asked her how that tasted. Horrible. Then she said she added raisins. Still horrible. Then she added yogurt. Still horrible. I laughed some more. Greg asked her if the oatmeal turned out hard. No, soft. Stephanie then informed us there are microwave directions on the can that they followed. Oh. I told her she probably needed sugar. Her eyes lit up like she had made the most earth-shattering discovery. Oh, sugar!

Next time, I bet she'll make the instant kind with peaches and cream.

1 comment:

Carpool Queen said...

I think I'm officially old now because I can't abide the instant kind.....