Friday, June 25, 2010

and then they danced


Throughout the year, you may hear me whine casually mention that I spend a fair amount of evening time warming the rock hard bench of the dance studio. I might go on and on comment about the 50 mile round trip drive to the dance studio twice a week ~ 40 minutes each way ~ part of it in rush hour traffic.



No matter how complainy I seem, the one special weekend in June when the girls show the world what they've been working so hard on all year long makes it totally worth it. And these girls work hard! Even though they may be pooped after a day at school, they get to class and give dancing their heart and soul.



I am lucky enough to see them practice all year long. But it doesn't compare to their on-stage performance in their fancy costumes. They shine. They bring a tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat.



They make their mama proud ~ and their daddy too.



Besides the obvious health benefits of the physical activity, dancing has given these girls poise and confidence in many situations ~ not just on the big stage. And the stage is big! Their recitals are at one of the performing arts theaters at the university. It's a big deal. When they had their first recital with this studio, I was worried how they would react to the vastness of it all. Ha! No worries. They ate it up.



Usually they welcome the month and a half break from dance classes in the summer. No schedule. No place to be. Just a really nice break. This year they were both bummed that we would not be making the trek to the studio for several weeks.








Let's just say a collective "ouch" for the splits pose here! Heather has been able to do the splits since she was tiny ~ naturally.

This dance was to the Charlie's Angels song, which is the reason for the shoot 'em up poses.



Anything you can do, I can do better. Right? Hmmm. I don't think this time, hon.


1 comment:

Danny and Paulette said...

I could dance like that, if I knew how. But since I don't I'll leave it up to the little pros. Great job, girls. Keep up the good work.