Monday, June 28, 2010

where's the beef?

alternately titled: don't have a cow, man!



This week we are the proud recipients of a quarter cow! My friend, Sharon, has connections so we were able to buy our first quarter cow. I am excited to try this beef because I've heard it is far and away tastier than what we can get in the store. But we need to eat what we already have in the freezer first. I'm afraid that once I eat what's in the little white packages I won't want to eat the other stuff.



The first box has various cuts of meat.  I'm going to have to pay a little more attention to what we are eating.  Honestly, when I buy meat at the store, I look more at the price than the specific cut of meat. I'll have to consult a cookbook or two to use this meat to its highest potential. The second box has 47 packages of ground beef. I'm hoping this quarter will last us at least 9 months. Maybe longer?



How much room does a quarter of a cow take up? About two shelves. (There's something behind some of the little white packages on the third shelf so I had to put the rest on the top shelf.)

Although they were afraid we'd be receiving some hooves, tails, and eyeballs in the mix ~ the kids are well aware of and ok with the knowledge of their dinner's original form. I'm glad they are not squeamish about that. In fact, on our way to pick it up, Heather asks, "Are we going to pick up some cow, now?"

1 comment:

Danny and Paulette said...

H.P. Lovecraft would probably say: Although the financial savings were tremendous, one can't help wondering if there will now be heard a small "moo" sound coming from the garage while the innocent family sleeps. At the risk of losing some sleep, methinks one or more of the family members will be drawn to the laundry room at 3a.m. (the witching hour) to listen for the small and pitiful cry. Pray the freezer never fails. . . . .