Thursday, February 17, 2011

quickest.dinner.ever

Y'all know I like to provide my family with a home-cooked meal ~ the more from scratch, the better. But there are some days that they are lucky I stay awake for dinner! Last night when we got home from dance class the only thing I was interested in doing was counting sheep. But Stephanie still had homework. Instead of telling everyone to have cereal, I busted out the quickest.dinner.ever!



I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Mr. Frozen Taquito. Of course they are far more crispy and delicious if you actually cook them in the oven. But on a night like last night, that 8 minutes is far too long. The microwave instructions are for 2.5 minutes.

Fancy them up with shredded ice berg lettuce (cut while the first batch was cooking), shredded cheese, and salsa. There you have dinner in a flash that looks fancier than it sounds. This method of serving them is actually a copycat of how a local fast food place serves them.

Nothing says, "I love you" like dressed up frozen Mexican food.

Kitchen tip: Don't want to get out the grater for cheese every time you want some? Don't. And don't buy those too expensive bags of cheese that have ingredients added to them that are tricky to pronounce. I use my food processor to grate the whole pound (or two) brick of cheese at once and store it in a Tupperware in the fridge. Cheese all the time.

 

No comments: