Saturday, July 31, 2010

it's the little things


The grand gestures in life are, well, certainly grand. The exotic trips, diamond bracelets, new cars.... But let's face it ~ when in life are we afforded such luxury on a grand scale? And really? All the grand gesture takes is money. The small moments in life require so much more than money.

Surely, it's the small moments in life that deserve the most attention. The small moments that, if you are not careful, get overlooked. Let's zoom in the camera lens and focus on the small moment while I tell you a story.

For those of you who know me just a little bit know my love for Mexican food runs deep and wide. A daily dose of the culinary delight is not too often in my opinion.  When we go out to eat, we can frequently be found in front of a bowl of chips and salsa with mariachi tunes wafting overhead. In the early days of dating, something else was happening at the table of which I was completely unaware. You see, our favorite restaurant has largish chips. In a single-handed movement, Greg would break a chip in half in the bowl and take one half, fully intending to come back for the other now perfectly sized chip. But before he could, I'd see a perfectly sized chip and swoop in on it.  Every.single.chip he broke in half for himself, I took the other half. Yet he kept on doing it ~ kept on letting me take the other half. He could have been stingy and taken the large chip out to hold onto the second half while he munched on the first half. But he didn't. He let me have it. He let this continue for many a night out before he told me. I honestly had no idea what I was doing. We laughed a good about it.

To this day, he still breaks his chips in half ~ one for him and one for me. And every once in a while, he gives me a little smile as he breaks the first one in half. It is in these small moments when I am struck by the notion of the little things Greg does to show me I am important to him ~ to show me his love.

We need to quit looking for the grand gesture in life and focus on the small moments of each day. It is by the small moments that our lives are defined. It is in the small moment we find true love show its face.

Take a minute and think about a small moment in your life when true love was shown to you. Share your small moment in the comments if you like ~ I'd love to hear it!


**Disclaimers: 
  • The fact that this post comes on the heels of me breaking a sprinkler head while trying to do Greg a favor of mowing the grass yesterday is purely coincidental.
  • I'm not so silly that I would turn down a grand gesture, say to Europe. Anyone? Anyone?

2 comments:

Carpool Queen said...

I must be hormonal because this made me cry.

And crave Mexican.

Danny and Paulette said...

Andrea, you know this story. I tell it now so the world will know what adorable children you have. Two years ago we were all in Disneyland and Stephanie and Heather were cold. Grandma and I bought them sweatshirts to warm them up. As we were walking to our next ride Heather and I were ahead of the rest of the family and she said: "Papa, sissy and me really want to thank you for getting us these sweatshirts. I love you. Do you think you would still buy us things if you weren't our papa? I mean like if you just knew us like a neighbor or something. - - I picked her up and hugged her and told her that YES we would.