Saturday, January 1, 2011

and a happy new year



Alright, let's review. I hesitated to post New Year's Goals at the beginning of 2010. It's tough to advertise your shortcomings. But I did, so now it's time to be accountable. Let's see how I fared.


2010 New Year's Goals


Use Quicken to track our income/expenses all year. This is one I was successful with...sort of. I was able to keep it up until mid-October. Then, Greg and I reevaluated how we were keeping track of our money and we decided he would be in charge of the keeping track and we switched to a program called iBank 4. So far we are happy with the program and I am happy with not having to keep track of our money anymore. 



Read 35 books. Nope ~ but I did read 25 books. Can I get partial credit?


Go to work 15 minutes earlier so I can come home earlier. For the most part, I got to work earlier than normal for the rest of the school year. I tried to go home from work earlier than in the past. Sometimes this happened, sometimes not. This school year we are usually at school about an hour before I am required to be there because of Stephanie's drop off schedule. I should feel more organized and prepared, right? Hm, I think I just find more to do.


Deal with mail and other paperwork right away to avoid pile-ups. This was hit or miss. Overall, I think I did a better job than in the past, but it still needs more work. Since Greg is our accounting manager (hee hee, like that title, honey?) it is easier to deal with the mess. The future is looking brighter with this one.


Be active at least three times a week. You're so funny! Complete fail. Let's not discuss it.


And that brings us to 2011. 


When I try to think about what I want my goals to be, all I can seem to focus on are what I view as failures for myself. It becomes a whole bunch of "I don't do this right ~ I am really bad at this ~ I dropped the ball here" kind of talk. It has occurred to me in the last few days of thinking about this post that maybe what I need is a more positive approach. This approach is not as specific as "get to work 15 minutes earlier", but its general nature has the potential of being more effective. 


Ready?


For the year 2011, I am going to focus on being consistent. I can apply this concept to any area of my life. Sounds simple, right? For example, if I am more consistent with dealing with the mail, then it won't pile up. See? Brilliant.


I am going to continue with my reading goal, however. Since I didn't reach my goal in 2010, I will keep the same goal of 35 books. 


What about you? Do you have new goals for 2011? 





No comments: