Friday, September 19, 2008

i say to-may-to, you say to-mah-to

Tonight was a fend-for-yourself dinner night. As I was making macaroni and cheese for Greg, who clearly got the "for yourself" part mixed up, I thought about noodles. We have vast differing opinions on lots of foods. I like lots of different foods (see my hips) and he is picky. We also have vast differing opinions on noodles.

I like my noodles al dente. I do not like smushy noodles. I can't eat smushy noodles. For me this falls into the category of soggy bread. Don't even get me started on soggy bread! Ugh, I'm gagging just thinking about it. Greg, however, claims I don't actually cook noodles. He says they are crunchy. Not true. They are al dente ~ the way a noodle should be cooked. He shuns al dente. He likes his very well cooked. Smushy. Ew, I think I just threw up a little in my mouth!

So, when I cook macaroni and cheese for just him, he gets his noodles cooked longer than the box says and he gets the Velveeta kind. Gross. But that's the way he likes it. I'm not eating it, so he can have what he wants. When I cook for the whole family, we get al dente.

He is smart enough to eat what the cook is cooking. He says Grandpa Smith taught him that piece of wisdom.

2 comments:

M&M Kanet said...

You crack me up Andrea! I'm all the way with you on this one, and al dente is even fun to say! I think Grandpa SMith needs to come give Mike some of that wisdom...
When you're on track break you are welcome to come walking with me in the mornings. I go with a friend at 7:30 around our park. Come join us! Very cute shoes by the way.
Your nut house story brings back so many memories. Tell everyone hello for me!

Anonymous said...

I would just like to specify that al dente to Andrea means "Crunchy", she failed to mention that little piece of wisdom to her readers.

--Courtesy of Greg (The smushy noodle eater!)