Friday, September 5, 2008

squeaky clean

I have this autistic boy in my class this year. He's very highly functioning and quite bright. Last year, at the beginning of the year he was really acting out. Tantrums. Throwing desks. Biting his teacher. Pretty much a nightmare. I had heard he calmed down, but I was a little worried to learn he was on my list.

He does not act that way for me. He is a sweet, loving child. He works hard and shows genuine care for others in the classroom. He is, hands down, one of my favorite kids. I know we aren't supposed to have favorites, but it's impossible not to. Before the kids leave for the day, I tell them they have to give me a hug or a high five. This way I can see who is walking away at dismissal time and don't lose track of them. He insists on a hug and a high five.

This week we are doing acrostic poems with the students' names. They write their name down the left side of the paper, then think or words or phrases that start with those letters that tells about them. This boy has a T in his name. When we got to the T, he said, "Teeth. Hm. Teeth. Teeth." I was just about the encourage him to choose something more descriptive about him. Afterall, we all have teeth in this room ~ minus those who are missing their front two. Then he says, "Teeth are squeaky clean." I busted up laughing and told him to write that down. I'm sure you'll hear about this little guy again. From now on, we'll call him Squeaky Clean.

No comments: