Wednesday, October 8, 2008

adventures in thrifting

Ok, right about now, Greg is giving a huge shudder as he reads this. Hee hee. He hates thrift stores, garage sales, and anything of that used sort! Ebay even gives him a mild case of the willies unless it's new items.

Hmmm. I'll admit, those places give me pause sometimes too.

But I do like to go look for items that I can clean up a bit and repurpose. Generally, the repurposing includes painting of some sort and I'm pretty picky about what I will buy.

Tuesday after school I went to the thrift store I like the best. This one is the cleanest, the least creepy, and actually the cheapest. I was looking for a couple of specific things, but always try to keep an open mind. I try to see past the previous use of items. I try to see the future beauty of how I will transform these items.

I gotta tell you, the man checking out the suitcases who smelled like a pungent bouquet of b.o. and booze gave me the heebeejeebees. The wild eyed, disheveled man at the in front of me cash register who turned and pushed my cart out of the way, then just stood and stared at me freaked me out. He left the line and shopped for a minute more. As soon as I paid my $5.50, I hustled the kids the heck out of there because he got back in line behind us.

And I came home with these. The frames and the crate were items I was searching for during this trip. I have an idea that I've seen around blogland for the frames. The sconces were a happy find. I've refinished and painted a pair like this before that looked pretty nice. I'll do the same for these. These are actually in better shape than the last pair. I'll show you as I finish my projects.

No comments: