Tuesday, April 1, 2008

the big day is here

It's my birthday, and I'll work even if I don't want to. 

Well, this much anticipated birthday has come and kissed me full on the lips with welcome (no tongue, please). Since I haven't keeled over, I suppose I will survive. :)


This is what happens when the 6-year old takes my picture. Just as she heard the click she started handing it back to me. Kinda fun, actually, but a bit blurry.


Charlotte left these daffodils by my classroom door this morning. What a cheerful welcome to work! They smell wonderful. They remind me of Texas. Someone must have had them in their yard when I lived there as a kid because one whiff and I was transported to a different place and time.


One of the other teachers shares his birthday with me. Well, I guess I share it with him since he's older. Anyway, every year he brings me a little something from his garden. Really sweet.

Other than warm well wishes and some flowers from coworkers and family, this has been an ordinary day. Work, grading papers, giving 'the look' to a few students, dance class for the kids, dinner, and soon off to bed. We did bring home Panda Express (screw the wallet and waistline tonight) for dinner. I will probably have to roll myself down the stairs because I'm so stinkin' full. But you better believe I'll pop open another Dr. Pepper before I go to bed. Panda always makes me soooo thirsty.

As I was sitting at dance class tonight, I was thinking that there's nowhere I'd rather be. Not necessarily dance class itself cuz the bench is kinda hard and I get a sore bum, but this life, the way it's mine. I love being married and having children. I love Greg and these children we have. I love being a teacher even though I frequently feel like pulling my hair out over the job. I love the house, messy as it continues to be. I just love this spot in life. Sure, things aren't pristinely perfect. I could be a better mother, wife, house cleaner, teacher, money manager, etc. There's so much to be improved upon. But right now, in this moment, it's just right for us.

I still don't feel as old as I am, and I hope I never actually feel my age. When I think of the number of years as time passing by, I cannot even fathom it. I guess that is just because I am really meant to be only 25!

No comments: